Default match unambiguous SKU at checkout window
We have several products with similar SKUs (for example: CANDLE8 and CANDLE14). When scanning these SKUs for checkout, the CANDLE8 won't auto populate the product, it makes me choose between the 8 and the 14. If the SKU exactly matches a SKU in the system it should default to that product rather than forcing a manual manual choice between the products.
-
Ben Stevens
commented
I noticed this was somewhat better and is now getting worse. We have SKUs that often include an attribute of the product name (ALL CAPS to make it distinctive).
When we scan barcodes with these SKUs, we are getting a search of products with similar attributes.
Two solutions I see:
1. Offer unambiguous (number only) SKU generation for products. We use names and words as we can't track every SKU we have created to ensure that random numbers don't overlap, and almost half of the products we carry don't have UPC codes, or we would be using those instead.
2. Don't perform a search for an unambiguous SKU, just show the product with the exact match like you do for a UPC. I don't get products with Similar UPC codes when I enter one, I just get the exact product (and our vendors have very similar UPCs across their lines)